A change in the Post-9/11 GI Bill law may adversely affect you.  You were billed out-of-state tuition during Spring of 2011.  During that term and through most of the Summer 2011 term, the DVA will pay for your full tuition under Post-9/11.  Yesterday SWC was informed of a Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) clarification of the Post-911 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-377).  The DVA has informed us that as of 1 August 2011, they will no longer pay more than in-state tuition for public institutions: veterans from that point forward are responsible for the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.


What does that mean to you?  If you continue on here as a non-resident (out-of-state) student you will continue to be charged $190/unit out-of-state tuition in addition to the regular in-state tuition.  However, the DVA will only pay the new $36/unit in-state tuition fee.  That means you will be directly responsible to SWC for $190/unit out-of-state tuition.  For each three credit course you take with us, you will owe us $570 in tuition beyond what the DVA will pay.


 What can you do?  You have a number of options depending on your circumstances.


  1. Everyone: If eligible to declare residency, immediately contact our Admissions office (619-421-6700 x5220, 5412 or 5217) to complete the necessary documents.  Your documentation will be reviewed for eligibility requirements.


  1. Active Duty Personnel: You are exempt from the non-resident tuition, but you still need to check in with Admissions and verify your status every term.


  1. Recently Discharged Veterans: If you are within one year of discharge and were stationed in California, you can contact Admissions and request a temporary military exception of out-of-state tuition.  You will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 and be physically present.


  1. Military Dependents with Chapter 33 Entitlement: Contact Admissions and complete the Military Dependent Application for Waiver of Non-Resident Tuition form to get the resident tuition rate.  You will also need to submit a copy of your federal income tax return, show your dependent ID card, and provide a marriage license if married for less than a year.  You will need to verify your status with your ID card every term.


  1. Non-Residents: If you are not eligible to declare residency, you can either:
    1. Continue to pursue your education with us, understanding that you will incur an immediate $190/unit debt to SWC., or
    2. Delay signing up for classes with us until you can meet the residency requirements and then declare residency. 


If you have any questions you can visit our website (www.swccd.edu/~vwc) for further information as it develops.  While there, please use our FAQ links to access the DVA site and its explanation of the changes in the GI Bill law.



Veteran Services