October was a busy and important month for the Board. After a nationwide search, the Board announced at its October 12 Board meeting that it offered a contract to Dr. Melinda Nish as the next Superintendent/President of the Southwestern Community College District effective January 2, 2012.
In this month's edition
Summer Degrees Awarded
|Associate in Arts
|Associate in Science
|Certificates of Achievement
The Governing Board approved awarding degrees and certificates to 256 students who met graduating requirements at the close of the Summer 2011 semester.
New and Updated Courses Approved
The Governing Board approved plans to add a number of new courses, in addition to updating the content of a number of existing courses: The new courses supported by the Curriculum Committee include:
- California Green Code and Sustainable Technologies
- Surgical Technology Certification Review
- Stand-up Paddling at various skill levels
- Sand Volleyball at various skill levels
The proposals are forwarded to the State Chancellor's Office for final approval.
Among the Governing Board's actions:
- Approving a new agreement between the College District and the Southwestern College Education Association, which represents faculty members.
- Approved the temporary assignment of Kathy Tyner, Dean of the School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering to serve as Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Changed the title of "Dean, Office of Institutional Effectiveness" to include "Executive Director of Foundation."
- Approved the hiring of Sam Shuey as Programmer Analyst and Gabriel Reyes as Project Small Business Advisor. Welcome!
The Governing Board also granted emeritus status to the following former faculty members who retired this year, as recommended by the Academic Senate:
- Irma Alvarez, Office Information Systems
- Diane Branman, Counseling
- Corey Breininger, Architecture
- Robert Flores, Exercise Science
- Rosalinda Gonzalez, Mexican/American Studies
- Greg Hazlett, Computer Information Systems
- Irene Hollman, Mathematics
- James Jimenez, Counseling
- Cheryl Johnson, Reading
- Gloria Johnson, Exercise Science/Health
- Vern Jorgensen, Accounting/Computer Information Systems
- Patricia Kelly, English as a Second Language
- Steve Kowit, English
- Alana-Patris Loyer, Communication
- Shery Medler, Biology
- Michael Riddle, Biology
- Michael Schnorr, Art
- Meredith Sinclair, Landscape and Nursery Technology
- Walter John Smith, Computer Aided Design
- Barbara Speidel-Haughey, Reading
- Eileen Zamora, English
"My emeriti colleagues amaze me and they will be missed," Academic Senate President Angelina E. Stuart told the Governing Board.
Emeriti, who must have worked for the district for at least 10 years, are entitled to continued listing with faculty in college publications and continued use of certain college services and facilities.
Produced by the Office of Communications, Community and Government Relations
900 Otay Lakes Road,
Chula Vista, CA 91910-7299,
Copyright (C) 2011 Southwestern College