New Board Officers
The Board held its organizational meeting and elected its officers for 2012:
- Norma L. Hernandez, Board President
- Humberto Peraza, Board Vice President
The Board also approved its regular meeting schedule for 2012.
Construction Update: Corner Lot
To accomodate changing needs and construction challenges on the site, the Governing Board approved a revised construction cycle for the Corner Lot project. Designs previously envisioned six buildings and a parking structure at the southwestern corner of H Street and Otay Lakes Road.
The Board deleted the parking structure, but moved to proceed with work on four of the six buildings:
- A multi-purpose educational facility and culinary arts center (38,000 square feet).
- A public safety station (4,500 square feet).
- What had been designated as a new bookstore with retail space, which will now accomodate the art gallery/fitness center, economic development and community services. (25,000 square feet).
- An administration and conference buildings with 99 underground parking spaces (41,000 square feet).
Board President Hernandez and Trustee Dr. Jean Roesch will represent the Board on a committee to review the need, scope and purpose of what had been Building D on the earlier plans.
In other construction developments:
- The college's newest eatery, dubbed the Time Out Cafe, opened in December on the south side of campus.
- Work is set to begin in January on the renovation of DeVore Stadium, including construction of the new Field House. (An alternate location is being sought for the May 18, 2012 Commencement ceremony.)
- Planning is moving ahead on a new structure at the Higher Education Center at National City.
Employee of the Quarter: Sergio Soriano
Student Employment Services Specialist Sergio Soriano (right, with supervisor Nelson Riley) was recognized at Wednesday's meeting as Employee of the Quarter for January-March 2012.
"Sergio keeps this program alive. He keeps it vibrant," said Beatrice Zamora-Aguilar, Dean of the School of Counseling & Personal Development.
In other employee-related action, the Board approved the employment of:
- Chandulal M. Brahmbhatt as Interim Vice President for Business & Financial Affairs;
- Joseph Quarles, Ed.D., for an additional six months as Interim Vice President for Human Resources;
- John Rieder as Assistant Professor of English (General Comp);
- Kevin Roof as Assistant Professor of Fire Science;
- Dr. Sylvia Garcia-Navarrete as Assistant Professor of Reading;
- Maria Ramirez as Food Service Worker;
- Clifford Sharp as Network Systems Analyst.
The board also designated Director of Food Service Joe Fighera as Acting Director of Bookstore and promoting Professor of Communication Linda Hensley to Director of Institutional Research, Grants & Planning.
Also receiving promotions were Classified employees Rosalva Sandoval, Rachel Francois and Yleanna Fierro -- a 26-year College employee who has studied to make the jump from Food Service Worker to Student Services Assistant.
National City's View For the Future
The Board also heard about preliminary plans to expand the Higher Education Center at National City with a second building housing an additional 15,000 square feet of life sciences laboratories and other classrooms.
The additional lab facilities would help the campus address a countywide shortage of general science prerequisite courses and provide more specialized training in Medical Laboratory Technology and Medical Office Professional skills, Dean Christine M. Perri said.
"Our charge is to take Southwestern College's mission and extend that to the National City community," Perri said.
The project would require an estimated $11.5 million in Proposition R funds. Construction is tentatively planned to begin in late 2013.
Meeting dates for 2012:
|January 11, 2012 || Higher Education Center, Otay Mesa|
|February 8, 2012 || Higher Education Center, San Ysidro|
|March 14, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|April 11, 2012 || Coronado Unified School District (Tentative)|
|May 9, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|June 13, 2012 || Higher Education Center, National City|
|July 11, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|August 8, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|September 12, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|October 10, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|
|November 14, 2012 || Chula Vista Campus|