Use your browser's back button to return to our web pages.
If you are new to our service, please read these Tips on Getting Started
- The librarian will communicate with you using Internet chat and may take you to various websites. An average session lasts 15-20 minutes.
- It may take several minutes for the librarian to search and send you an answer.
- We thank you for your patience while the librarian searches for a resource that satisfies your request.
- The librarian may ask you questions to get a better understanding of what you need and may offer to follow-up by e-mail if your question cannot be answered online.
- That will allow the librarian to refer to print and local resources, as well as subject specialists who may not be available during the live session.
- By entering an e-mail address at login you will receive a complete transcript of your session with the librarian, including all chat and links to web sites visited.
- This also helps the librarian send a follow-up message to you if more information is found after your session has ended.
- If you didn't enter an email address, you have another chance to do so as soon as the session is ended.
- At the end of the session you will receive a list of live links that will allow you to go back and visit all of the pages you were shown.
- If you have provided an e-mail address, you will receive a full transcript by e-mail. Each page received can then be bookmarked or printed after the session.
If you have a question related to Southwestern College library or your Southwestern College library record, you may receive a quicker response by calling or visting Southwestern College library.
During your session, please follow only links within the left frame. Opening a new web site in your browser will close your right frame connection with the librarian.
If a web page doesn't open in your left frame, refresh or reload the browser window or copy and paste the URL from the right chat log into a new browser window to open it.
If you experience other problems such as latency (slow loading) or no response from the librarian, clear the web browser cache of temporary Internet files:
- In IE: Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files button > Delete all offline content > OK > OK
- In Firefox: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cache tab > Clear Cache Now button > OK
- Then close and reopen your browser window, and return to www.swccd.edu/~library/ask.htm. If were using Internet Explorer when you experienced problems, you might want to try again using Firefox or Netscape web browsers.
- If you lose your connection with askswclibrary 24/7 Reference, simply return to www.swccd.edu/~library/ask.htm and let the librarian know who was helping you when you were disconnected.