Searching the Internet Evaluating Internet Information
Internet Subject Guides
The following are subject-oriented Web sites. These sites are good starting points
for exploring Biology resources on the Internet.
- AmphibiaWeb every
recognized species of amphibian in the world
- Biology Browser offers resources for the life sciences.
- Biology Project includes tutorials in Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Biozone Bio Links are
organized into Biology and Microbiology topics.
- BUBL Link Life Sciences a
catalog of biology Internet sites.
- California Plants and Animals a report on the status of rare, threatened and endangered plants and animals of California.
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Encyclopedia of Life this site allows searches for specific species by common or scientific name..
- EnviroLink includes thousands of online environmental resources.
- Gene Gateway explores
genes and genetic disorders from the U.S. Office of Science.
- JoVE, Journal of Visualized Experiments presents video demonstrations of biological laboratory techniques.
- Khan Academy Biology Tutorial Videos a library of online videos covering biology related topics.
- Learn Biology Online covers
various aspects of Biology.
- Microbial Life information about the ecology, diversity and evolution of micro-organisms.
- National Center for Biotechnology
Information a resource for molecular biology information.
- NatureServe Explorer Online Encyclopedia includes more than 55,000 species and ecosystems.
- NCBI Taxonomy
Homepage a tool for finding the lineage to 80,000 species.
- North American Mammals this site focuses on US mammals includes individual species records, illustrations, photos and basic facts.
Biology an online version of the Public Library of Science
- SciCentral provides breaking science research news.
- Science Seeker thousands of science blogs around the world, written by active scientists, journalists, professors, students, and interested laypeople.
- Science.gov connects you to US Government
science and technology information.
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Library features research and information on marine science.
- Virtual Bacteria Museum provides information on all aspects of bacteria.
- Wildlife Finder explore a wealth of video, sounds, stories and breaking news about your favourite animals.
These Internet resource directories are useful for exploring a subject to find
out what's available on the Internet. Be sure to carefully evaluate what
- Yahoo provides biology information organized by subject.
|Your Library has a great deal more information on this topic!
magazine and newspaper articles are available online. These services
are for current Southwestern College students and staff. Pick up passwords at
the reference desk or contact us at email@example.com.