Searching the Internet Evaluating Internet Information
Internet Subject Guides
The following are subject-oriented Web sites. These sites are good starting points
for exploring Astronomy resources on the Internet.
- NASA National Aeronautics and Space
- Today@NASA news
releases and updates within NASA.
- An Atlas of the Universe includes
maps of the universe.
- Comet Hale-Bopp Images
Eight Planets tour an overview of the history, mythology, and current scientific
knowledge of the planets, stars and moons in our solar system.
- Exploring the Planets features information about tools of exploration and about the planets, asteroids, and comets in our solar system.
- Hubble Space Telescope
Observations an archive of Hubble news items.
- Khan Academy Astronomy Tutorial Videos a library of online videos covering topics related to Astronomy.
- Physics and Astronomy Reference includes general physical science reference sources and astronomy data.
- Science.gov connects you to US Government
science and technology information.
- Sky and Telescope
Sky Chart simulated views of the sky from any location on Earth.
- StarDate Online an educational astronomical
site from the University of Texas McDonald Observatory.
- Stellar Evolution and
Black Holes an easy-to-understand description of stars, including
- Stephen Hawking's
Universe this Web site, based on the PBS television series, presents the concepts behind astronomy, relativity, and quantum mechanics in laymen's terms.
- Views of the Solar
System includes tables of historical, orbital, and physical data
for the sun, planets, and their satellites.
- Welcome to the Planets photographs and physical data for all the planets, plus asteroids and comets. Also has a section on the planetary explorers such as Voyager II.
- Your Sky an interactive planetarium. By entering a city, or the latitude and longitude, maps can be produced for "any time and date, viewpoint, and observing location."
These Internet resource directories are useful for exploring a subject to find
out what's available on the Internet. Be sure to carefully evaluate what
- Open Directory covers all things
- Yahoo includes Astronomy
information organized by subject.
|Your Library has a great deal more information on this topic!
magazine and newspaper articles are available online. These services
are for current Southwestern College students and staff. Pick up passwords at
the reference desk or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.