Certificate & Degrees
SWC Biotechnology Program Overview
The SWC Biotechnology Program offers four academic tracks designed to develop a marketable skill set that prepares students for careers in biotechnology.
- Technical Certificate
Provides training in the theory and practices of biotechnology which include introduction to microbiology, cell biology, and molecular biology techniques.
- Associate in Science Degree
Qualifies students for entry-level positions in biotechnology research laboratories and augments student transfer preparation.
- Transfer Track (to Four-Year University or College)
Extensively prepares students for further undergraduate study of Biotechnology at a four-year institution.
- Parallel Track
Designed for students currently enrolled at a four-year institution and majoring in molecular biology or genetics.
- Industry representatives have affirmed that they would hire students trained at the Biotechnology Program at Southwestern College.
- Industry representatives strongly recommend the Biotechnology Program at Southwestern College to students considering a career in biotechnology or colleagues seeking individuals for entry level positions.
Marketable Skill Set Gained by SWC Biotechnology Students
- Basic laboratory skills
- record keeping & documentation skills
- Teaching assistantship experience
- Internship experience
- Communication skills including writing & presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- working effectively alone
- working with a partner
- working as a member of a team
- Organization skills
- attention to detail
- troubleshooting ability
- time management
- Resume writing & interview skills