High Tech Center
The High Tech Center is designed to provide training in the use of assistive technology for Southwestern College students with disabilities. The High Tech Center (HTC) is also a resource for students and staff to use assistive technology, obtain information and referrals, and evaluate access needs.
in a supportive
on a first
Personal Development (PD) classes taught in the High Tech Center allow students to develop essential computer skills and utilize specialized programs designed to improve basic skills in reading, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, speech, computers, and study skills.
PD 18 and PD 21, 22, 23
Individual Computer Assistance and Needs Assessment
- Electric Tables with adjustable height
- CCTV (enlarges printed material)
- Keyboards (large and extra large printed keys)
Basic Skills Software
- Inspiration (helps you to develop and organize ideas for writing assignments)
- Skills Bank (helps you develop Math and English Basic skills)
- Word Munchers
- Dragon Naturally Speaking (allows your voice commands to use computer and type)
- Jaws (screen reader/voice output)
- Kurzweil 1000 & 3000 (reading, study skill, and writing program for students with disabilities)
- Duxbury Braille Software (translates print into Braille)
- Zoomtext (screen magnifier)
PC and Apple Computers and Peripherals
LocationBuilding 420, Room 421.
For more information contact:
- Frank Post, Adapted Computer Technology Specialist at (619) 421-6700 x5275
- Homer Lopez, HTC Computer Lab Technician/Alternate Media Specialist at (619) 421-6700 x5418.
HTC Open Lab Hours [LINK TO PDF]