Governing Board Appointment
TO: Applicant for Provisional Appointment to the Southwestern Community College District Governing Board, Seat 3
FROM: Denise Whittaker, Interim Superintendent/President
SUBJ: Application Information
Thank you for your interest in serving as a Provisionally Appointed Member, Seat 3, of the Southwestern Community College District (SCCD) Governing Board. The appointee will serve until the next regularly scheduled trustee election which is in November 2012.
To serve as an appointed member of the Governing Board, you must be a registered voter, a resident of the Southwestern Community College District, and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes as listed in the Application Form. Note: An employee of the SCCD may not be sworn into office as an elected or appointed member of the College District's Governing Board unless and until he/she resigns as an employee [EC § 35107].
Applications are available on the Southwestern College web site: www.swccd.edu/govboardapp or by calling the College directly at 619.482.6301 for a printed copy.
Required application materials include the following:
- Completed Application for Governing Board Provisional Appointment
- Signed Certification of Qualifications form as included in the Application form.
- Letter of Interest addressed to Governing Board Members
Applications may be submitted as follows:
- By Fax at 619. 421.0346
- By Email as a scanned document at: email@example.com
- By Hand or Postal Delivery by the posted deadline to:
Denise Whittaker, Interim Superintendent/President and Secretary to the Board
Southwestern Community College District
Office of the Superintendent/President
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
If you would like to talk to a Governing Board Member about the vacancy, Governing Board President Tim Nader is available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 619.421.9503 during the application period, through July 27, 2011 at 4:00 p.m.
Enclosed is the Application Timeline that outlines the steps in the application and selection process. To be considered for appointment to the vacant trustee position, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 27, 2011.
Timeline and Selection Process:
July 7 – July 27, 2011
Application filing period
August 2, 2011
6:30 p.m. Special Board public meeting to hear candidate presentations. Board to determine who will be invited for interview.
August 3-4, 2011
Applicants identified for interviews will be notified.
August 8, 2011
6:30 p.m. Special Board public meeting for applicant presentations
August 9, 2011 (if needed)
Governing Board interviews, and formal appointment
The Board encourages you to review the provided materials that outline Governing Board responsibilities and expectations of trustees. Additional information about Southwestern College and the SCCD Governing Board can also be found by visiting the College web site at www.swccd.edu. General information about the role of California Community College trustees may be found at www.ccleague.org .
Please feel free to contact me at 619.482.6301 if you have any questions about the position or the selection process.
- Application form (print) (PDF)
- Application form (electronic) (Word)
- Application Timeline
- SCCD Conflict of Interest Code Policy and Procedure
- SCCD Code of Ethics
- Community College League of California Trustee Handbook: Chapter 6, Governing Board Role
- Community College League of California Trustee Handbook: Chapter 7, Trusteeship
- Catalog (online at www.swccd.edu/catalog) or available through the Office of Communications, Community & Government Relations
- Governing Board agendas, minutes and other information (www.swccd.edu/governingboard)
- Southwestern Community College District map
To view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader.You may read or edit Word documents with Microsoft Word, with the free Word Reader or with other software such as the open source program OpenOffice.org.