Florence, Italy 2011
Florence, ItalyDeparture date: Thursday, September 22, 2011
Return date: Saturday, November 26, 2011
AIFS will serve as the provider for services related to this program.
Classes will start approximately six weeks prior to departure at Southwestern College. Attendance for class meetings is mandatory. (Information is subject to change and will be updated as it becomes available.)
The cost for this semester abroad program is approximately $6,770 (based on enrollment of 40 students), and includes:
- Roundtrip airfare to Florence, Italy.
- Shared room in a self-catering student apartment in the historical center of Florence. Typically there are four students to each apartment with regular cleaning service and a change of linen provided. Apartments are a maximum of 20 minutes walk from the study center.
- Native Italian faculty and an on-site coordinator in Florence.
- Transportation from airports in Italy.
- A nine-week museum pass providing unlimited free entry to: Uffizi, Bargello, Accademia, Palazzo Pitti, San Marco Museum, Boboli Gardens, Medici Chapel, Cenacolo di SantıAndrea del Sarto, Giardino della Villa, Medicea di Castello, Villa Medicea di Poggio a Caiano and Villa Medicea della Patraia.
- A full-day excursion to Siena and San Gimignano including round-trip transportation by private bus, the services of a professional English-speaking guide, lunch and entrances.
- A full-day excursion to Perugia and Assisi including round-trip transportation by private bus, the services of a professional English-speaking guide, lunch and entrances.
- The educational center has two computers (PCs), which are free of charge as well as free wireless connection throughout the center for students to use with their laptops.
- Membership with borrowing rights to the British Institute Library in Florence.
- Student medical and program fee refund insurance policies, as outlined in the program brochure. Coverage includes $10,000 accidental medical expense and $10,000 accidental death payment plus 24-hour emergency care assistance during the program and repatriation in cases of verified emergency beyond the studentsı control.
Items not included in the program:
- Course Registration fees ($20.00 per unit)
- Any personal expenses
- Airport departure taxes
- Visa fees
- Passport fees
- And other related items not included in the program cost.
The Gilman Scholarship Website: http://www.iie.org/programs/gilman/index.html. There is a $400.00 application fee due at the time of registration with the balance of the program costs due in three payments.
To be eligible for the program you must have completed at least 12 college units and have a 2.0 grade point average by the end of the Spring Semester 2011. Priority for this program is given to students attending San Diego & Imperial Counties Community Colleges Association community colleges.
Mandatory orientation meetings to prepare for the program will be scheduled during the summer prior to departure date. Actual classes begin meeting six weeks (August 1, 2011) prior to the departure date. As SWC is hosting this program you will have to register (if you are not currently a Southwestern College student) at Southwestern College for Fall semester 2011, and pay student registration fees to Southwestern College for the Fall 2011 semester of classes.
Registration forms and brochures are available in the International Studies Office, Room 651 (Behind the Southwestern College Bookstore). Please contact Dr. Carla Kirkwood at IPGlobal@swccd.edu or call the International Studies office at 619-482-6504 and set up an appointment to discuss this wonderful opportunity.