Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Southwestern College Left Navigation

Home > Student Info > Transfer Center > Tips for Transfer (FAQ’s)

Tips for Transfer (FAQ’s)

The Transfer Center offers students the ability to plan for transfer to a four-year college or university through a variety of resources and services that provide assistance in the transfer process. Below are just a few of the most frequently asked questions (FAQ’s).
What is the difference between an associate degree and a bachelor’s degree?
An associate degree is granted at a community college and is considered a two-year degree. A bachelor's degree is granted at 4-year colleges and is considered a 4-year degree.
What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?
The length of time a student takes a course at institutions of higher education. A semester is generally 16-18 weeks of study and a quarter is generally 10 weeks. An institution may be on a quarter or semester schedule.

When is the best time to schedule an appointment with a counselor?

Appointments are available Wednesday mornings at 7:45 a.m. All appointments are on a first come, first serve.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

There are monthly Bulletins with the applicable applications, reference books and web-site lists in the TC.

Are walk-in appointments available?

Not in the TC, however the Counseling Center does offer daily walk-in appointments.

Can I get a transcript printed here?

All students must contact the Admissions Office for transcripts.

How many units do I need to transfer?

Units vary depending on the college; see a counselor.

How do I know if I am ready to transfer?

The number of units, the courses you have completed and GPA determine transfer readiness. See a counselor. Requirements vary for each college. Major preparation for most campuses, is critical.

Are there a maximum number of units I can transfer?

Generally, 70. However check with a counselor; courses will be accepted if they meet subject requirements.

What if I take more units than required?

Not all units will be transferable. Each college will determine which courses they will accept. Students must see a counselor because there are many other variables.

When do I need to apply to the transfer school?

It depends on when you plan to transfer. CSU/UC generally accepts Fall applications beginning the month of November the year before you want to attend. For example, If you plan to attend Fall of 2004 (i.e. August or September), you should apply before November 30, 2003. CSU applications for the Spring semester (i.e., January) are accepted beginning August 1 through August 31. Private colleges and universities vary on dates for admissions applications. Colleges may be on a quarter or semester system and dates will vary for application. Application dates are subject to change and students should contact the Transfer Center or the college they plan to transfer to.

How do I know which courses to take?

Check the articulation files for major preparation or Plan B for CSU or IGETC for UC. Files also contain agreements with private universities; see a counselor.

Which courses transfer?

Schedule an appointment with a counselor. The TC and Counseling Center maintain Articulation files for UC, CSU and private course agreements. General Education plans i.e. CSU/GE Breadth, IGETC and Plan A are available in the TC and Counseling Center also.

What is articulation?

Courses at SWC that are accepted as comparable to other colleges or Universities as GE, major prep or electives credit.

What is General Education?

Requirements students can take, before transferring includes courses from many disciplines.

Should I use Plan B or IGETC?

If you plan to transfer to a CSU, follow the Plan B pattern. I you are undecided and may go to a CSU OR UC , then follow the IGETC pattern.

What is a major?

Courses you’ll take that lead toward your career goal. Usually a combination of lower and upper division course work in your area of concentration (i.e. Mathematics or Psychology)

What school offers my major?

A great reference tool is the Index of Majors. This manual is available for viewing in the Transfer Center.

Do I need to take specific courses as preparation for my major?

Yes; meet with a counselor to outline the requirements. Every University has different preparation for the major.