Thursday, July 2, 2015

Southwestern College Left Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions by looking at the list of questions with their answers below.
1. If I decide to attend Southwestern College, what should I do?
Come to Southwestern College, go the Admissions Office, and fill out an application or visit our web site and apply online.
2. Once I've filled out an application, what do I do then?
When your application has been processed, the Admissions Office will notify you with regard to your registration status and course sign-up date. You should also make an appointment to take assessment exams.
3. Who may attend Southwestern College?
Admission is open to anyone who has graduated from high school, has equivalency or is 18 years of age or older and is able to benefit from instruction.
4. How do I get to Southwestern College?
From I-805, exit H Street. Then go east 3 miles to 900 Otay Lakes Road, turn south 1/4 mile, then enter the front entrance. For complete driving directions click on the following link and enter your address and the location above.
5. After I drive into the college where do I park?
One-day parking permits are available from the vending machines in the student parking lots at the Chula Vista campus and the higher education centers. There are no long coin-operated parking meters on campus. There is no off-campus parking.
6. How do I register for classes?
You may enroll in classes either by telephone, online or by coming directly to the Admissions Office. You should pick up a Class Schedule, find open courses that you qualify for, and follow the registration instructions in your Class Schedule. The class schedule can be found online as well.
7. Do I need to take the reading, writing and math assessment tests?
Students wishing to graduate from Southwestern College must meet reading, writing and math proficiency levels. The tests assess your levels and tell you where to begin.
8. Should I attend an orientation?
All first-time students at Southwestern should attend orientation. Orientation gives you the necessary information on general education plans, major courses of study, degree and transfer requirements, as well as other valuable information to get you started.
9. Do I need a counseling appointment?
You should get a counseling appointment as soon as you start your first semester to help you establish or review your goals and to make a Student Education Plan to reach those goals.
10. What kind of counseling can I get at the Counseling Center?
Academic, career, personal and crisis counseling.
11. Where is the Counseling Center located?
The Counseling Center is located directly across from the Admissions Office in Building 104.
12. If I have attended other colleges, am I required to provide transcripts from those institutions?
Yes. Official transcripts must be sent directly from all schools attended to the Southwestern College Admission Center. Hand-carried copies will not be accepted.
13. Can I add a class after registration?
Students may add a class only by officially filing a Class Add form in the Admission Center. To add a course, the student must obtain the instructor's approval/signature for each course and return the Class Add slip to the Admission Center before the established deadlines for registration.
14. How do I withdraw from a class?
A student may officially withdraw from a course by telephone, online or filing a Class Withdraw form in the Admission Center. Students are permitted to withdraw from a course through the 12th week of the regular semester.
15. Is financial aid available at Southwestern College?
Students who need financial assistance to attend Southwestern College are urged to contact the Financial Aid Office, Student Services Center (1st floor), for information and application forms.
16. Will I be assigned a counselor?
You may choose a counselor or the Counseling Center can make an appointment with the first available counselor at your convenience.
17. What is a "prerequisite" course?
A prerequisite is a course or qualification required before a student may enroll in a subsequent course. A minimum grade of "C" or "Credit" must be earned in the prerequisite course may be taken.
18. What is a "co-requisite?
A co-requisite course is a course that must be taken at the same time as another course. Students who do not take the co-requisites can be dropped from the courses requiring the co-requisites. Co-requisites are enforced at Southwestern College.
19. What is a "recommended preparation" course?
Previous training or courses that help a student successfully complete a subsequent course. Completion of the recommended preparation course with a Grade of "C" or better increases student success.
20. How many courses can I take?
Students wishing to enroll in courses and to exceed a total of 19 units must submit a petition and receive approval from the Dean of Student Services prior to enrolling in the additional courses. Petitions are available in the Admissions Center.
21. Can I repeat a course?

Course repetitions are allowed only under the following conditions:

  1. A student may repeat a course in which he or she received a grade of "D", "F" or "NC" grade. When such a course is repeated, the last grade assigned will be used for computation of the grade point average, and the first grade will be ignored.
  2. A student may petition to repeat a course in which he/she previously received a grade of "C" or better or "CR" if the student believes either of the following:
  • His/her grade would have been higher, except for extenuating circumstances caused by verifiable accidents, illness, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.
  • He/she should repeat the course because there has been a significant lapse of time since the student previously took the course, and the student needs to refresh his/her knowledge of skills in the subject in order to achieve the student's educational objective.

    When a course is repeated pursuant to an approved petition, the first grade assigned will be used for computation of Grade Point Average, the second grade will not be calculated.
  1. A student with a verified disability who is enrolled in a special class offered through Disability Support Services may repeat the special class under the following circumstances:
  • When continuing success of the student in the class is dependent on additional repetition of a specific class; or
  • When additional repetition of a specific special class is essential to completing a student's preparation for enrollment into other regular or special classes; or
  • When the student has a Student Educational Contract goal, which requires repetition of a special class to meet that goal.
22. How do I find my way around campus?

Three methods may be useful to you:

  • Follow the map contained in your Class Schedule.
  • Maps with legends are available throughout the campus for easy directions.
  • Ask any faculty or staff member for help.
23. Are meals served at Southwestern College?
Southwestern College has a Student Union dining room that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a short order food service.
24. Can I apply to Southwestern College online?
Yes. Apply Online
25. If I want to be a full-time student, how many units do I need?
12 units.
26. Is Southwestern College accredited?
Southwestern College is fully accredited.
27. What is a unit of credit?
One hour of lecture per week for one semester equals 1 unit; 3 hours of laboratory per week for one semester equals 1 unit.
28. Are personal development classes offered at Southwestern College?
Southwestern College offers a full range of personal development classes such as: Diagnostic Assessment; Job Readiness; Career and Life Planning; Student Leadership; College Success Skills; and many others.
29. What is Academic Probation?
A student who has attempted 12 units or more at Southwestern College shall be placed on Academic Probation when his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) at Southwestern College falls below 2.0. A student is removed from Academic Probation status when his/her total grade point average at Southwestern College is 2.0 or above.
30. What is Progress Probation?
A student who has attempted 12 units or more at Southwestern College shall be placed on Progress Probation when his/her total units at Southwestern College include 50 percent or more of "W", "I", or "NC" grades. A student is removed from Progress Probation status when his/her total units of "W", "I", or "NC" are less than 50 percent of the total units attempted.
31. What is Academic Disqualification?
A student on Academic Probation status is disqualified when his/her semester grade point average falls below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters. A student whose semester grade point average equals or exceeds 2.0 but whose overall grade point average remains below 2.0 shall remain on Academic Probation.
32. What is Progress Disqualification?
A student on Progress Probation is disqualified when his/her semester units of "W", "I", or "NC" exceed 50 percent of the units attempted for two consecutive semesters. A student whose semester units completed equals or exceeds 50 percent of the units attempted but whose overall units show 50 percent or more of "W", "I", or "NC" shall remain on Progress Probation.
33. Can I be reinstated if I am disqualified?
  1. A student who is disqualified for the first time (academically or for progress) is eligible to return after one semester. Students who are disqualified lose their continuing student status and must reapply to the college.
  2. A student who is disqualified for the second time (academically or for progress) is eligible to return after two semesters. Students who are disqualified lose their continuing student status and must reapply to the college.
  3. A student who is disqualified may petition the Probation and Disqualification Committee requesting reconsideration and reinstatement.
34. How can the Counseling Center help me?
  1. The Counseling Center offers academic advisement and individual counseling to all students. The college maintains a Counseling Center staffed by qualified professional counselors who are prepared to answer inquiries or talk with students about their academic performance, choice of career, personal goals, and transfer opportunities to other colleges and/or universities.
  2. Students may request assistance in improving their study skills, understanding their interests, assessing their abilities, or exploring short-term and long-range goals. All communication between student and counselor is considered confidential.
  3. The counseling faculty will assist each student in developing a Student Educational Plan. Appointments should be made with a counselor to discuss the student's goals and develop the plan after admission to the college.
35. Tell me about the Career Center.
Career-planning assistance is offered as a part of the total counseling program in the Career Center located on the second floor of the Student Services Center. A variety of resources are available, including career information in written and computer-assisted formats, newsletters, and resource directories.

The following career counseling services are available to students:

  • Small group computerized Career Assessment Laboratory, which includes interest, values, and personality inventories.
  • Individual career planning upon completion of assessment.
  • Eureka computerized career information system and Choices college/career research software with Internet applications.
  • Career-planning classes offered for credit on a semester basis.
  • Monthly workshops on career topics.
  • Extensive video library and hardback resources.

36. What services does the Transfer Center offer?
  • The Transfer Center offers students the ability to plan for transfer to a four-year college or university through a variety of resources and services that provide assistance in the transfer process.
  • Resource materials - a library of college catalogs and campus videos, educational computer programs, articulation agreements, and other resource information are available for student use.
  • Services - academic advising by transfer counselors, university advisors, and organized tours to various colleges and universities. Workshops on the application process, transfer information, scholarship information, transfer writing test preparation, and transfer admission guarantee programs.