If any fire is discovered, GET OUT IMMEDIATELY and call 911, then call College Police at (619) 216-6691.
- ONLY IF YOU FEEL CAPABLE AND IT IS SAFE TO DO SO, put out an easily extinguishable fire by using the nearest fire extinguisher.
- Point the foam/chemical stream at the base of the fire and squeeze handle in short bursts while sweeping the nozzle back and forth. Some areas have large fire extinguishers containing water. These should not be used on electrical fires.
- On large fires that are not immediately controllable, confine the fire by closing all doors, but do not lock them.
- If the fire is large, very smoky, or spreading rapidly, evacuate the building immediately by activating the nearest fire alarm.
- Crawl or stay near the floor while evacuating a smoke-filled building.
- DO NOT open any door that feels hot.
- Assist the evacuation of any injured or persons with disabilities.
- Evacuate well away from building (200 yards if possible) and out of the way of emergency personnel. Do not return to the building until instructed by the appropriate authority.
- If someone's clothes are on fire, have him or her drop to the floor and roll. Smother the fire with a blanket, rug or heavy coat. Call for help.